What is the Stand Up Award ?
Do you know a Penn State student who stood up for what is right?
The Rock Ethics Institute inaugurated the Stand Up Award to honor Penn State undergraduate students who have demonstrated courage, fortitude, and ethical leadership by taking a stand for a person, a cause, or a belief. This award and the individuals it honors should remind the entire Penn State community of how often the extraordinary act is possible in ordinary circumstances.
What do you need to Stand Up?
In the face of difficult challenges, social pressures, and conflicting claims concerning what to do, it takes courage and conviction to Stand Up for the beliefs that we hold dear. You can Stand Up if you have:
- Confidence, borne of solid understanding of the tools for ethical inquiry
- Experience that leads to understanding the possible consequences of speaking out
- Knowledge of ethical norms and values
We at the Rock Ethics Institute are proud that examples of such courage and conviction are found among the undergraduate students at Penn State. Ethical leadership is clearly alive on all of our campuses across the Commonwealth. It is especially impressive when a student stands up by:
- Articulating the particular ethical values and principles that are most relevant to an ethical situation
- Assessing where substantive agreements and disagreements occur in everyday life and actions
- Modeling productive ways of addressing disagreements
- Acting with ethical leadership